A month in to the semester, the class routine has settled nicely. At the bell,
- we quiet down for announcements (changes, reminders, etc.),
- I hand back and give personal feedback on any exit slips that indicated the student wasn't quite ready to move on,
- I check in with individuals as I work my way around the room returning the slips, get everyone working and focussed (some days more focussed than others...),
- students figure out what they need to do by consulting the chart or the master list and get whatever resources they need,
- students request mini-lectures and I begin teaching them once the slips are all returned.
Everyone then continues to work - more or less productively - for the remainder of class.