I have been fortunate enough, in my first year of blogging and exploring teacher connectivity on the Twitters, to be nominated to complete the PLN blogging challenge not by one colleague, but two! I've been slacking on the blog front recently, so I'll ease back into things by happily obliging. Here are the rules:
1. Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
2. Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3. Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.
4. List 11 bloggers you would like to nominate for this challenge.
5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they have been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you. That's just a vicious cycle waiting to happen).
Julie Balen (@jacbalen), a fellow educator here on Manitoulin Island, was the first to nominate me. She is one of the most connected-while-remote teachers I know, and has been instrumental in helping me navigate through my first MOOC (#OOE13). Drew Frank (@ugafrank) nominated me just a few days later. He and I are both taking up the #blogamonth challenge to regularly contribute to both our blogs and others' throughout the coming year.
1. My academic background is in astrophysics. Sometimes I toy with the idea of going back and doing my PhD, but there's a lot of calculus I'd have to relearn.
2. I hold a brown belt (ik-kyu) in the martial art of Kendo, and will be grading for my black belt (shodan) in June 2014.
3. I've recently been enjoying reading about Russian history. Someday, I think I'd like to visit St. Petersburg, Veliky Novgorod and Moscow.
4. I say "I think" in the above statement because I hate flying.
5. When I was young, I wanted to live in a house in which I could see the stars from my bed. I'm glad to say that little dream has come true.
6. Chris and I have a goal of camping together at every provincial park in Ontario. We've done about 25 of them... only about 100 to go!
7. I competed gymnastics in high school, and now coach our school's gymnastics team.
8. I love to cook and bake, and wish I had more time to do so. I got ninja cookie cutters for Christmas and can't wait to try them!
9. I started running a few years ago, and now really enjoy middle distances (5-10km). Someday I'll try a half marathon. Someday.
10. I am a cross-stitching fiend!
11. Attending a French elementary school for seven years and taking three years of Latin in high school has contributed to a love of languages. I really enjoy looking for patterns in (and making connections with) syntax, structure, voice, etc.
I didn't want to answer 22 questions, so I took half from Drew and half from Julie...
1. What do you do for fun? Hobby?
I love to sing, and I have performed recently with the Island Singers, Voices North, The Simple Life and Western Migration.
2. Cat, dog or goldfish? Why?
Cat; we have two of them. They offer more affection than a goldfish, but require less attention than a dog (we're both pretty busy and aren't home much).
3. How do you caffeinate?
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
4. Favourite Twitter chat?
5. Best place you've ever vacationed?
Vienna, Austria. It wasn't really a vacation - I was there as part of a choir tour years ago - but I absolutely loved it.
6. Favourite television shows?
I'm always good for hockey. Lately, I seem to be watching a lot of Castle and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. I really need to watch more Nova.
7. Satellite vs. Netflix?
Satellite. We are remote and our Internet is pay-per-use, so Netflix isn't an option at the moment.
8. Movie or novel?
Novel. I didn't grow up going to the movie theatre (there wasn't one in our community), so movie-watching has never been a big deal for me.
9. Favourite wild flower?
Alberta's wild rose.
10. What educational event do you REALLY want to attend?
ISTE2014, hands down.
11. List three high points of 2013.
-Seeing Chris win a Board award
-Spending more time with my family
-Attending a 6-day mindfulness retreat for educators with Thich Nhat Hanh
Some edufriends, some #ooe13, some #BYOTchat...
Naomi Aubé ~ @celestialnaomi ~ http://bateaumooc.wordpress.com
JD Ferries-Rowe ~ @jdferries ~ http://geekreflection.blogspot.ca
Jovette Francoeur ~ @FJovette ~ http://educ-actions.blogspot.ca
Debbie Fucoloro ~ @debbiefuco ~ http://theeducatorscafe.com
Anna Katterjohn ~ @katterjohn ~ http://katterjohn.blogspot.ca
Marcie Lewis ~ @marcielew ~ http://marcielewis.wordpress.com
Heather Lye ~ @TchngPassion ~ http://www.teachinginspirations.blogspot.ca
Steve Mefford ~ @meffscience ~ http://meffscience.blogspot.ca
Andrea Wilson Vazquez ~ @wilsandrea ~ http://techiestateofmind.blogspot.ca
Alena Zink ~ @ZinkEd_u ~ http://blogs.forsyth.k12.ga.us/azink/
Brandon Zoras ~ @brandonzoras ~ http://mrzoras.wordpress.com
1. What is one of your professional goals this year?
2. If money was no object, would you go into space?
3. Your one superpower: what would it be?
4. Real or fake Christmas tree? Or other?
5. Who is your favourite superhero?
6. PC or Mac?
7. Summer or winter? Don't mince - you can only choose one!
8. What is the furthest north you've travelled? Furthest south?
9. Can you play any musical instruments?
10. Do you have a favourite comfort food? What is it?
11. What is one of your new year's resolutions (if you make them)? Happy 2014!!